Mr. Ram Mohan passed away on 11th October, 2019 (1931-2019).
Ram Mohan Sir is an icon of Indian Animation Industry and will always be. His trained students are working as leading industry artists, in India and abroad. He has worked on various verticals of Animation and related fields of Creative Arts, in capacity of both: as an artist as well as managerial position. His life journey is an inspiration to all artists and a great story of hard work and dedication.
Mr. Ram Mohan started his career as an Animator at Cartoon Films Unit, Films Division of India in 1956 and later became head of it. He gradually progressed towards becoming the Chief Creative Officer of Mumbai based Animation studio (Graphiti Multimedia Pvt. Ltd.) and founder of an educational institute (Graphiti School of Animation). He has nurtured and trained many students with acute sense of creativity and aesthetics. He was also founder of ‘Ram Mohan Biographics’ which worked for many Hindi movies. Under his guidance and supervision, many of his works has earned various national and international awards and accolades.
Ram Mohan Sir’s major credentials and awards:
- National Award for the Best Film on subject of family planning ‘Baap Re Baap’ (1969)
- Two times winner in the category of ‘Best Non-Feature Animation Film’ at ‘National Film Award’ (You Said It – 1972, Fire Games – 1983)
- C0-director of internationally acclaimed Animation feature film ‘Ramayana: The Legend of Prince Rama‘ in collaboration with Yugo Sako, Japan (1992)
- Hall of Frame award for Life Time achievement by Communication Arts Guild (1996)
- Life Time Achievement award by Advertising Club Award ‘ABBY’ (2001)
- Lifetime achievement award at the ‘Mumbai International Film Festival’ (2006)
- Received ‘Padma Shri’ for his exceptional contribution in Indian Animation Industry by Government of India (2014)
Check out his inspiring interview: The Story of Indian Animation – Ram Mohan
Apart from these, the Maestro has worked as an Animation Director for various Indian and international movies. Some of the outstanding Bollywood works counts Toofan, The Burning Train, Prem Rog, Shatranj Ke Khilari, Pati Patni Aur Woh and The Great Gambler.
Sad demise of Mr. Ram Mohan happened on the morning of 11th October, Friday, 2019. He was suffering from bad health. He left us but his legacy will continue. He was the greatest teacher and Animator of our industry. His all mentoring and knowledge sharing will outlast.
God bless his soul.