Official list of Marvel Phase 4 movies announcement, planned by MCU and Disney+.
Marvel Announced 10 movie projects post-Avengers: Endgame and Spiderman: Far From Home. This week is packed with some major announcements from Marvel Studios Producer Kevin Feige. The announcement comes from Marvel’s panel at the San Diego Comic-Con that showcased the studio’s attempts at bringing diversity to the cinematic universe. Official list of Marvel phase 4 movies and their release dates are as follows.
- Black widow (May 1, 2020)
- Eternals (November 6, 2020)
- WandaVision (Spring 2021: with Disney+)
- Loki (Spring 2021: with Disney+)
- Hawkeye (Fall 2021: with Disney+)
- The Falcon and The Winter Soldier (Fall 2020: with Disney+)
- Shang-Chi and The Legend of The Ten Rings (February 12, 2021)
- Doctor Strange in The Multiverse of Madness (May 7, 2021)
- What if ..? (Summer 2021: with Disney+)
- Thor: Love and Thunder (November 5, 2021)
Feige also confirmed that Taika Waititi is to return to the cinematic universe – but this time, he is accompanied by a female Thor. The sequel to Thor: Ragnarok is one of the 10 exciting projects that was announced at the 90-minute event. The sequel will be called Thor: Love and Thunder.
Chris Hemsworth and Tessa Thompson are set to reprise their roles as Thor and Valkyrie, with Waititi returning to direct the Asgardian god. The element of surprise though was Natalie Portman making a comeback as Thor’s love interest Jane Foster- and this time, as a female Thor. “Feels pretty good,” said Portman on stage. “I’ve always had a little hammer envy”, she said, gripping a prop of the hammer. The hall soon echoed with screams and cheers with this announcement. The film will be based on a recent story line in the comics where Foster gains Thor’s abilities when she begins to wield the hammer. As she was dying from cancer, she is forced to give up her abilities and the electricity from the hammer was nullifying her chemotherapy.
The studio has had three triumphant releases this year- Captain Marvel, Spider-Man: Far From Home, and Avengers: Endgame. Marvel Studio President announced at the panel that Endgame is expected to outrun Avatar as the highest-grossing movie of all time very soon. Endgame is just short of $500,000 to topple down the James Cameron-epic that currently stands at $2.789 billion. The mega-profitable studio also promised to feature more diversity in the coming phases of films. Thompson told the crowd that the upcoming movie will also focus on Valkyrie “looking for her Queen”, thereby hinting at LGBT roots for the character.
Another exciting project that has been confirmed in the list of Marvel Phase 4 movies is Black Widow starring Scarlett Johannsson who will appear as Natasha Romanoff for the last time. Rachel Weisz, Florence Pugh, and Stranger Thing’s David Harbour will join Johannsson. Marvel also announced Canadian-Chinese actor Simu Liu starrer Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings. The movie is studio’s first Asian superhero that will also feature Ocean’s 8 star Awkwafina. Benedict Cumberbatch and MCU veteran Elizabeth Olsen will return in Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness. According to director Scott Derrickson, this will be “Marvel’s first scary movie”.
The Eternals starring Angelina Jolie, Salma Hayek, and Bodyguard star Richard Madden is another installment based on the god-like race of superbeings that was announced at the panel. Feige has previously hinted that the upcoming franchise will feature its first gay lead character. Also announced were several TV series for Disney’s expected streaming service Disney+ that will focus on established MCU characters like Loki, Hawkeye, Falcon and the Winter Soldier, and WandaVision. All the titles of Marvel phase 4 movies are quite promising.
Blade, the half-human, half-vampire hero previously portrayed by Wesley Snipes will now be played by Double Oscar-winner Mahershala Ali who made a brief appearance during the announcement. Whether it will be a movie or TV series, it wasn’t confirmed. Black Panther and Captain Marvel sequels were confirmed by Feige at the end of the panel. “Fantastic Four and The Mutants”, referring to X-Men were also confirmed in development.
Marvel Studios now owns the latter two properties after the multi-billion dollar deal, where Disney purchased 20th Century Fox. Feige had stated previously that the introduction of X-Men and Fantastic Four wouldn’t take place until the next couple of years.
Enjoy the entire one hour long video of Marvel phase 4 movies announcement from Variety.
Leading star cast and director of all these ten officially announced phase four movies of Marvel are as follows.
1. Black widow: Scarlett Johansson, Rachel Weisz, O-T Fagbenle, David Harbour and Florence Pugh. Directed by Cate Shortland.
2. Eternals: Angelina Jolie, Salma Hayek, Lauren Ridloff, Richard Madden, Brian Tyree Henry, Kumail Nanjiani, Don Lee and Lia McHugh. Directed by Chloé Zhao.
3. WandaVision: Elizabeth Olsen, Teyonah Parris and Paul Bettany.
4. Loki: Tom Hiddleston.
5. Hawkeye: Jeremy Renner and Kate Bishop.
6. The Falcon and The Winter Soldier: Anthony Mackie, Daniel Brühl (Zemo) and Sebastian Stan.
7. Shang-Chi and The Legend of The Ten Rings: Simu Liu (Shang-Chi), Tony Leung (real Mandarin) and Awkwafina. Directed by Destin Daniel Cretton.
8. Doctor Strange in The Multiverse of Madness: Benedict Cumberbatch and Elizabeth Olsen (Scarlet Witch). Directed by Scott Derrickson.
9. What if ..?: It is the first animated series of MCU. So, various actors will be dubbing for CGI characters including Jeffrey Wright (as the voice of The Watcher), Taika Waititi, Josh Brolin, Paul Rudd, Sebastian Stan, Karen Gillan, Chris Hemsworth, Chadwick Boseman, Samuel L. Jackson, Tom Hiddleston, Mark Ruffalo, Toby Jones, Neal McDonough, Hayley Atwell, Jeremy Renner, Natalie Portman, David Dastmalchian, Dominic Cooper, Stanley Tucci, Chris Sullivan, Michael B. Jordan, Sean Gunn, Jeff Goldblum, Djimon Hounsou and Michael Rooker.
10. Thor: Love and Thunder: Chris Hemsworth, Natalie Portman (female Thor) and Tessa Thompson. Directd by Taika Waititi.
Also check out all 10 official movie posters of MCU phase 4, announced by Kevin Feige.